Tuesday, January 20, 2009

An historical moment ...

[Me...circa 1978. On a beach in California, just south of San Francisco)




Well, I spent a good part of the morning watching the inauguration of the 44th president of the United States. It was breathtaking, seeing that record crowd on Pennsylvania Avenue. It was both uplifting and tear-jerking to see the Tuskegee Airmen sitting in the crowd, to see the people of this country witness one of their own finally being sworn in as president, the highest office in the land. Especially the older folks, the ones who have lived closer to the injustices and racism, perhaps. I am proud to have been part of the color of change.



Today I am grateful that I have a television, so that I could feel like I was part of this historic moment. I am grateful that I can feel my feelings, and have hope for the future of the world. I am grateful for gratitude, something I didn't always have. I am grateful to have lived long enough to see the paradigm shift.





The blessings of being able to write this, and having a computer connection, and having enough funds to care for my injured pet and good food to put on the table and pay my bills...all this makes my head spin sometimes. The blessings of a good sober marriage, sober friends, and having been released from that self made prison I was locked up in...these things are invaluable in my life today. The IDEA of being able to chat this morning with a friend from Australia on the computer...how cool is that?



I'm going in to lay my head on my pillow, do a quick 10th step and take a look at my day, and then it's off to sleepyland. 5 AM comes early....



Namaste.

No comments: