Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Oh me, OH my....


 Looky !!  There are beautiful lavender colored bee balm flowers in the midst of all the red ones. They are gorgeous and really attracting the bees and hummingbirds.


  On a less bright note...maurauders came through last night in the guise of sweet, gentle deer...and ate the tops off ALL my edamame plants...I am so upset. When we moved here 6 years ago, the neighbors told me that if we were going to have a garden, we would have to have it fenced to keep the deer out. It was too late to plant that first year ( and we had so much to do!), but for 5 years since we have had a huge garden and not one bit of trouble with critters. Until last night.  Here's what they left me....


 In the life of a homesteader, it's always something,. lol


  I have decided to go ahead and buy another Oreck. A carpet shampooer this time.  I love my vacuum, and don't see how I can go wrong with the shampooer. Their warranties are great and I cannot live without a rug cleaner. AND, if I don't like it, I can return it within 30 days. But I'm telling you, I have never returned anything to them yet.  I talked it over with the Irishman and he grunted something, so I'm taking that as a go-ahead.  lol  I'll be ordering it tonight. And they will ship it and I will have it in my hands within 3 days.  At least that's how it usually works.


  I made a chocolate cream pie today. And bought some pork butt sliced into thick steaks that I slow cooked in the oven with homemade bbq sauce.  Cooked some red potatoes and called it a feast. We may not have much, but we certainly eat well.

  I'm going to try my best to get to bed at a reasonable hour tonight...it's been 2 AM or later about 3 nights in a row. And I am tired....


  Excited about the canning experiment slated for Thursday.  I have always thought about canning meat, but never tried it for some reason. Maybe because, although we do eat meat, we also eat a lot of meatless meals, so it never seemed necessary.


  One last thing and then I'm outta here. Asking for prayers, energy, and general good vibes to be sent to Matthew, Petit Fleur's nephew (?) who is facing a most difficult time. Collective energies can work miracles....thank you.


 
Be Blessed.

4 comments:

DJan said...

Sending good vibes AND prayers to Matthew. And the deer around here eat all the tops off their favorite flowers. The fenced garden behind our apartment complex has not been able to find a tall enough fence to keep those determined deer out. I watched them eat through a whole bunch of organic garlic. Good luck but I am sorry for the edamame you will miss...

the wild magnolia said...

I will remember Matthew, sending good vibes and prayers.

Wonderful color of flowers....a gathering of beauty.

Thank you, for sharing.

Rita said...

Sending good energy and prayers to Matthew.

Sorry about the deer. I hope they leave the rest alone.

I have an old Oreck that's been going now for 13-14 years without a lick of trouble. :) I would hope their shampooers work as well. Let us know.

Oh, and let us know how canning chicken goes, too. Not something I've even heard much about, but sounds so practical.

Sending protection for your garden!! ;)

Akannie said...

Thanks everyone. I'm sure that Matthew is feeling the love.

The flowers are gorgeous, aren't they? Love 'em...

DJan-I couldn't live for long with no garden, lol And that's what my neighbor says too, about the fences.

WM--love that-"a gathering of beauty" ! So glad you're here.


Rita-- I'll let you know about the chicken. It will be exciting, lol. I am on my 2nd Oreck vacuum...in 15 years. And I work it to death with all these animals. I love them too....one of their biggest fans. Last time I got the base model and had it for over 12 years. This time I got the 2nd to the top and it's awesome. I can't wait to try the shampooer...they say it pulls 95% of the water back out of the carpet !!!

I hear the dogs growling outside...betting we have company...Patrick found some chewed on apples laying at the base of the tree too.

Aarrrgggghhhh.....