Sunday, August 28, 2011

Finishing up the day....

  Sigh....sweet little Roxie is coming into her own. She's started challenging the other dogs at the food bowl, barking and chased a neighbor's dog across the yard...(running headlong into this behemoth of a dog), and today she found the pond. She was exploring the wooded area around the back yard while I was watering the garden this morning and suddenly she was gone. I called and called and no answer.  The Irishman got home about this time and I pointed him in the direction I last saw her and he went down to the edge of the water and sure enough, there she was, along with her favorite babysitter, Bella. Bella was just watching her dig dig dig into the mud, Pat said. He brought her back up in the yard and before we knew it, she was down there again. Stuck in 3 inches of mud, with her little 4 inch long legs!  We had to give her a bath--she was covered in thick oozy mud.  She has been digging a lot, along the gardens edge, in front of the chicken coop...she bites the dirt and digs furiously with her feet, and pulls weeds up and flings them aside.  It's a riot to watch!

  I picked another gallon of green beans today...I have enough to can tomorrow. I also picked bell peppers and a few more jalapenos. I'll pickle a couple of small jars of the hotties and freeze the bells in strips-I froze 3 quarts the other day. The peas are coming along famously and the green beans are looking good...except the part of the bed where someone got in there and dug the plants up. No proof of who that might be, but it looked like the work of a big dog. We have lettuce spinach and kale showing from the second planting. And a couple of yellow crooknecks that may or may not make it to the fruit stage.  We'll see....


  Counting down to the weekend visit of the husbands brother and sister. I can't wait to see them--2 of my favorite people in the world.  I have so much work to try and get done between shifts this week. And yes--I have a grand list.  :)

  Everyone is sleeping around me. I filled the bird water and food dishes and cleaned up a little in the kitchen. I have iced tea ready to make and  a couple of other little things and then I will probably head to bed. Feeling quite tired today.  I still need to feed the fish. Oops. Nearly forgot them. The aquarium is looking a little better all the time since I cleaned it the other day. I'm ashamed that I let it get that bad. I need to take the filter out and rinse it...it's still just a little milky in there. 


  Feeling a little spiritually adrift these days...not keeping to my usual routines of prayer and meditation. This happens to me from time to time and then I have an AHA! moment and get back on track.  I need to remember to.."Make time for quiet moments...as God whispers, and the world is loud." I'm glad I can notice this stuff today...and have the solutions to the problems.


  Watched several good movies the past few days...The Lincoln Lawyer, with Matthew McConaughey  and a wonderful cast that includes William H. Macy and Marissa Tomei and Ryan Phillippe...and a comedy called Your Highness, starring Danny McBride and James Franco.  Then I watched The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood, which I always love.  And some schmaltzy Hallmark movie about 2 Italian Winery families from the Napa Valley that I loved..with Patricia Heaton and Lainie Kazan and Tony Lo Bianco...the scenery was breath-taking and made me very homesick for that part of northern California where I lived when I first moved out there.  That's more tv/movie watching in 2 days than I do in a month!


  Alrighty then. Time for this old woman to get her affairs in order and start meandering towards her beauty sleep. I have a few unfinished things in the other room and then I am out of here. Have a great new week coming up, all y'all !!!!


  Namaste.


  

5 comments:

Rita said...

What a little stinker! Sounds like you will have to watch your little digger like a hawk or tie her up unless you want to lose more of the garden or be joining her in mud baths--LOL! ;)

Wow! Are these beans from the new planting already? Nice! Sounds like you should be getting a lot more from the garden before winter.

Funny how we can so easily fall out of a routine. I haven't gotten back into mine since I had company for a week. I need to get back to my morning spiritual reading and journaling here soon. I get to feeling kind of "off". ;) I love that--God whispers and the world is loud--how true!

Sounds like you will be really glad to see your company. Nothing like seeing the smiling faces of people you love and care about.

The Lincoln Lawyer was really much better than I expected! Love the YaYa and I think I saw that movie with the winery feud, too. You must have needed rest and escape. ;)

I hope this is a good week for you, too. And a quieter one for the east coast. :):)

Petit fleur said...

Hey you,

sounds like little Roxie is feeling better and sowing her wild oaties! I am not certain, but I have this memory of someone telling me that (doxins--I know I misspelled!) were used for hunting badgers and other ground dwelling critters. That may be their big fascination with digging...?

Trip sounds fun. Are you going to see your new baby on this trip? I adore babies. I love to smell their hair, so fresh and new and squishy.

Have fun!
xo

DJan said...

I am always glad to hear about Roxie becoming a family member. After her earlier treatment, she deserves to have a good life. And I also love that quote, I will use it to remember why it's important to quiet myself.

Akannie said...

Morning friends...

Rita--no, these are a rebirth of the first beans. The others are still up and coming! I tried to read the LL book first and couldn't get to the halfway mark in it. But loved the movie. Go figure. It's usually the other way around. I know what you mean about the routines...I'm as easily distractible as a child...lol


Little Flower--They were indeed badger dogs, and that's apparently what the German translates to. I'm not taking a trip, btw--the trip is coming to me. And yes--I do love them and can't wait to see them!! NO, new baby is a different branch of this nut tree, lol.


Djan--She has moved right in. Bless her heart. I was reading about how prone they are to slipped discs and she is limping a little today. Might be from not being used to all the activity she's taking part in now...hope it's nothing more. She does love jumping up and down form the furniture though....lol

Rubye Jack said...

Dogs are so funny!
I need to go buy a DVD. I love sitting around watching movies. To me, that is a good day.