Thursday, December 9, 2010

Look At The Birdie...




 I am just getting started reading a book of Kurt Vonnegut's [heretofore] unpublished short stories.  I fell in love with the man the very first time I read one of his books, Breakfast of Champions, probably.  I went through one of my infamous "spells" of reading everything of his I could get my hands on. For weeks and weeks and weeks, I read nothing but Kurt Vonnegut, immersing myself in his madness and comedy and pure, beautiful compositions.  He died in April of 2007, and I had just seen him on Jon Stewart's Daily Show, in rare form. He could barely physically walk up to the stage, but once there, he was on fire...chewing up the Bush administration and spitting him out all over the place. It was glorious.  I am relishing reading this book and it may motivate me to dig out all the old copies of his stuff I have.


  It's been a long day. I woke up when the Irishman was leaving for work at 6 AM...which wouldn't be so bad if it hadn't been almost 2 by the time I went to bed. *Thwack!*  I really need to establish a better routine for going to bed at a reasonable hour, but I never do. I  am feeling the effects of having been awake for more than 18 hours now.  But tomorrow I get to just be at home all day. I am sooooo looking forward to that. I did a little shopping today and bought a gift for my husband, a pair of socks for me and 5 new heavy thick towels. Throw in a big package of paper towels and it was a quick 60 bucks. Easy come, easy go. I tell my myself it's only money...it isn't real. It's just some shit that we trade for other shit, in the great cosmic scheme of things. But it's presence sure makes day to day life a little easier...  :) 

  Have I mentioned how much I dislike AT&T ???  Just looked at my cell phone bill to pay it, and it's 50 dollars more than usual.  It all appears to be in a category called "USAGE CHARGES", and of course when I called to talk to someone in billing about it, I was informed by Rosie Robot that the office was currently closed and I would have to call back tomorrow between the hours of 7 AM and 10PM. Sigh... 

  Spoke with my son this morning...he's still very upset, but perhaps he is working through this problem and I can not worry too much about it personally.  Imagine...minding my own business. He said to me, Look, I know you just don't want your boy to hurt, but he does, and there's nothing you can do about it.  sheesh.  I love him so much...


   Crikey...we're closing in on only 15 days til Christmas. I guess I had better check my finances and get busy... I have my husband taken care of pretty much. (Especially since he said he wanted nothing for Christmas).  lmao...  I'm making a tied fleece blanket/quilt for my little MissB...at 81 she is cold all the time. I found a rich yellowish brown plain and a print with cats on it to use for the front and back. My niece made this blanket for her baby with an Eeyore print on one side and a beautiful lavender on the other, that's where I got the idea. I may get it finished tomorrow. I will probably do some baskets for my family, with jams and pickles and breads and salsas  and such in them. They have come to expect that from me. Not sure still about the grandsons...may both get gift cards...they are so hard to buy for.The youngest is a real geek, but has about everything I could ever think of. The oldest wants a gas card, so that's easy.  Thinking about getting the son and DIL a gift certificate to a local hotel that has hot springs, it's about an hour south of us and would make a nice little getaway...a night away would cost about 100-150 dollars,  and the place is supposed to be great. In fact, we have talked of going, but never quite made it yet.  Maybe for my birthday this year...


  Alrighty...time for bed. It's suddenly after 1 AM again.  How does this happen????    lol  

  Had a talk with an old friend tonight ...called out of the blue. What a blessing it is to have people in my life that I have known for over 25 years now, and still be in contact. Life is good. Mostly.



Namaste.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Namaste to you to Annie. It feels good to be back among the blogs and to read again the journey's that we all make.

I remember reading Breakfast of Champions whne I was in the 9th grade, I thought Vonnegut was amazing and like you read it all!!!

I to stay up too late reading mostly LOL


peace
g