Saturday, May 16, 2009

Saturday in the winds...

It was a long and productive day today. Peppered with light winds and sunshiney brilliance and cool temperatures. A good day to accomplish lots of manual labour.

We headed off to Carlinville, which is the county seat 'round these parts. It's a lovely town, actually, with a historic courthouse and central square. We headed for a nursery called Kahl's that also does a lot of landscaping and other stuff. As we took the drive in through the backroads, we saw a fox trotting along the edge of the woods, as well as several wild turkeys and a small herd of deer. It was delightful...the road we take there is called the Shipman Cutoff, and actually takes us less time than the other routes. By the time we left Kahl's, we were 60 dollars poorer and ready for some lunch. The good news is that I got a lot of stuff, including a 20 dollar gallon jug of fish emulsion fertilizer. It's my favorite fertilizer to use, but you can't hardly find it anymore. Well-now I know where I can get it!! WooHoo !! I also got marigolds, zinnias, sweet potatoes, rosemary, oregano, and a couple of other herbs. I bought marigolds in 3 colors: bright yellow, a beautiful orange, and a mix of dark orange and yellow. I use these to border my garden beds and interplant among some other plants, as they are a good deterrant to bugs. I still have nasturtium seeds to plant for the same reason. I got them all in the ground this afternoon. We planted corn and more beets, trellised the peas, planted okra and icicle radishes. Hubby and the neighbor hauled in 3 or 4 tractor scoops of leaf compost --really beautiful stuff!-- and we have to figure out where to plant the popcorn now. The gardens are looking really good. I'll try to get out there sometime tomorrow and get some new pictures.

Tomorrow will be a busy day. We have the usual Sunday morning meeting we go to and then a district meeting at 2 pm. I will be filling in for the secretary , so I hope I can keep up. Oh well--I'll do my best, and that'll have to be good enough, won't it?


I'm sure blessed by the simple life we live. The dogs were playing and swimming and running today, making me realize how much we could all learn from our pets about living in the moment. And don't get me started on the unconditional love!! lol

Being part of the cycle of life by gardening and feeding us with the products of our labour is a thing that has to be experienced to be understood. The connection I have with the earth and with my Creator on these days is beyond description. I have little moments of clarity, realizing that I am part of a great something, and I am blessed by it.

Mndfullness is a part of my existence today. I never want to return to those days of letting life slip through my fingers. never knowing what's happening or where I am. Missing all the magical moments that never come again. I am in love. In love with life, in love with myself, in love with the world and it's Creator.

Happy, Joyous and Free...what a way to be!

Namaste.

1 comment:

steveroni said...

I only wish I had written that final paragraph--it is how I feel--MUCH of the time! Thanks.