Monday, April 6, 2009

Spectacular Sunday

A day spent puttering around the old homestead. Spring is in the air, but it turned really cold tonight. I picked up a sponsling and went to an 8 o'clock meeting. By the time I got out of there, it was cold and rainy and the wind was biting. I stopped at the grocery store Schnuck's (open 24 hours) to buy the rest of the stuff I needed to make spring rolls for the potluck tomorrow night, and then I stopped to fill the gas tank as well. It was freaking frigid!!!!!! I couldn't wait to get home.

The meeting was good. A friend was back from Florida where she goes to live off and on throughout the year. The topic was out of As Bill Sees It. There was a young man getting a 30 day card. Another woman I have been told over and again "Surly you know her!" and tonight I finally met. All in all, a good evening.

Today on Craig's List, I found a food dehydrator for 25 dollars, and a vacuum (Oreck, no less) for 75. I am hoping to be able to get them tomorrow. Those Orecks are 300 dollars and up new. This one is barely used she says. The dehydrator is just like one I used to have, I think. I don't know what ever happened to that one...it probably got lost in the move. Husband thinks it got broken. Anyway, I have 2 phone calls to make in the morning.

I'm feeling blessed tonight. Made a lovely dinner of spaghetti putanesca with garlic bread. I am arguing with a friend who is a vegetarian and says putanesca has anchovies in it. I have dear friends in Callifornia who operate a world class Italian eatery, and they told me years ago that they put that on their menu because it literally translates to sauce of the whore. Apparently working girls who had little monies, would throw together marinara with whatever they could find in the cupboards. It made sufficient meals and used up everything. So--my Putanesca had garlic, onions, red-yellow-green bell peppers from my freezer (organically grown in my own garden), black olives from the fridge, grated carrots, organic dried basil (once again-from my garden)...and the requisite ground pear tomatoes and shredded Parmesan cheese. Saute the veggies in a little olive oil. Yum

I'm sleepy and it's time to rest my weary head.


Namaste.


PS!!!!!! Apparently last night I hit save instead of publish and went to bed. This morning I couldn't find this post...until I looked in the save draft box....ay yi yi yi......

5 comments:

steveroni said...

Annie, your blogs are beginning to read a bit like Mary Louisey's, all about food, cooking, eating--and well-written.

When you describe all that stuff, I can actually small it. Really. In June I'll tell you more.

Unknown said...

Oh it sounds like you had a great Sunday! I love the idea of the food dehydrator and an Oreck for $75.00...wow!!!! That is awesome.

Hugs to you!
G

big Jenn said...

I'm a vegetarian and make whore sauce all the time!LOL. Now I know what to call it!jeNN

One Prayer Girl said...

All's well that ends well. Your post is here and I get to read it.

Glad you had such a spectacular Sunday. I had a spectacular weekend at my son's wedding and I'm still floating.

Love ya,
PG

Queenneenee said...

Its cold and rainy here too! These April showers better bring me something good! The grass sure is turning green, which is nice to see. Your meal sounds vunderful darlink! Have yourself and awesome night!