Friday, January 1, 2010

New Day, New Year

The snow has been falling off and on all day. We have spent a lazy luxurious day just being together and reading and doing various things around the casa. These pictures are not from today, but they still look about the same out there....snow is snow is snow.


When I left this place back in 1976 and ran off to California, I swore I would never come back. I had left a couple of times before this particular Exodus, but returned each time. I had run off to Wisconsin for a year (not so far away, and same weather!) and then off to Colorado for about a year and a half. But when I landed in sunny California and the cold temps got down to about 50 and the hot temps up to about 80...I knew I was home. lol


I still don't like the snow and I don't like the cold. Now that I'm old and beat up, the cold makes me hurt in places I didn't know I had. On the other hand, because I don't work anymore, I don't have to deal with that side of the bad weather. When it snows, I just stay home. I don't have to drive in it. If I have appointments and the roads are bad, I just reschedule them. Where I live, sometimes the worst part is my hill of a driveway and the road in front of my house. There's about a quarter mile stretch that sees no sun, is on a hill, and is a sheet of ice, regardless. PLUS...we are out in the boonies, so we are the last place the snowplow finally comes. When they come. And that's okay by me...I am content to just stay here and read and sip tea and look at it through the window. Husbandman says the weather here is sucky...never cold enough for long enough to be fun. I think he is deranged. But, he is from Wisconsin...and you know how THOSE people are. lol. I tell people I have my own personal zamboni driver. (About 1/4 of them know what I'm talking about.)


There are several people on my mind this evening that I hope are weathering the holidays okay. I don't hear from them anymore, and there's a little hole where they used to be.


So, here we are, the first day of the first month. I started reading the Artists Way again today. I also started the workbook lessons in ACIM. This should be enough to keep me on track in some areas of my life and expand my world so that some Light can come in on a regular basis. I hope so.



I am especially blessed tonight by friendship and by love and by the miraculous gift of sobriety. I am blessed with wonderful memories and a wonderful family and all manner of things good. I have had a life full of adventure and romance and mystery. When I tally it all up, I find it wanting for nothing...and how great is that?


I leave you with this recycled quote (because it's one of my faves):

"I have always been delighted at the prospect of a new day, a fresh try, one more start, with perhaps a bit of magic waiting somewhere behind the morning."~~ J.B. Priestly (1894-1984)


Namaste.

8 comments:

steveroni said...

Annie, I had no idea it SNOWED at your house...it just didn't feel like "snow country" last June.

Love your blog, and your zamboni driver!!

I'd hate to be coming UP that little hill while someone is coming DOWN...

Bet those cats are all inside?? On other hand I remember cats on the farm didn't mind the cold--warm coats, ya know.

I LOVE being sober with you and everyone else, and look forward to blog visits through 2010..
Love,
Steve E

One Prayer Girl said...

Somehow I have not read that quote before. I love it. Your post feels very peaceful and it makes me feel happy this morning.

Enjoy your reading. Enjoy su casa. Enjoy looking at the beautiful snow.

PG

Enchanted Oak said...

Happy new year, Annie. I'm glad you've had a rich and sober life, with even a little mystery thrown in. I posted about mystery this morning. The Priestly quote is priceless, and I hope your second day of the new year is exactly like that, with a bit of magic hiding behind the morning. (What does ACIM stand for?) Fondly, Chris A

thailandchani said...

Good quote! Wishing you the best for 2010.




~*

big Jenn said...

Happy New Year to you! I don't like driving in the snow either and am so glad to not be working and having to drive in it this winter.
I have a Zamboni driver too! What's up with that? :) jeNN

Andrew said...

The workbook certainly won't hurt too much.

Crisp, cool and soon to be sunny here.

Love

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, A! You have a very blessed life and I love that you take time out to share it with us in Blogland.

Take care, darlin'.

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Personal zamboni driver :) LOL

I Love that quote!