Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sunday Sun

Chimney Rock, NC. This is where they shot a good portion of the movie, Last of the Mohicans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


A beautiful day with temps close to freaking 80 degrees. Gorgeous. I spent most of it laying around the couch on a heating pad. I was online off and on, did some Nano writing, then tried to get outside and move some...having back spasms that make it hard to do much of anything.

I have had a quiet and restful day. Not inspired to write much, and then I read the entry for November 8th in my book called Simple Abundance~ A Daybook of Comfort and Joy...by Sarah Ban Breathnach. The entry today is called Everyday Life is the Prayer. Here it is:

"Some women know they pray. Other women think they don't because they aren't down on their knees morning and night. But they're up in the dark with sick children, visiting an elderly parent on thei lunch hour, supporting the dreams of those they love with with their work, helping a friend bear grief or rejoice, nourishing bodies and souls. This,too,is prayer.

For whether we realize it or not, with every breath, with every heartbeat, women pray. We pray with desire, longing,hunger, thirst, sighs, remorse, regret. We pray with disappointment, discouragement, despair, disbelief. We pray with anger, rage, jealousy, envy. We pray with pleasure, contentment, happiness, exultation, joy. We pray with gratefulness, acknowledgment, appreciation, acceptance, relief. We pray when we comfort, cheer, console. We pray when we laugh. We pray when we cry. We pray when we work and play. We pray when we make love or make a meal. We pray when we create and when we admire creation. One way or another, we pray. Everyday life IS the prayer. How we conduct it, celebrate it, consecrate it. ..."


This really got me thinking. This short excerpt from the words for today holds me enthralled....it holds my life to a higher standard. It celebrates life. It makes me partners with God on so many levels. It gives great value and immense grace to the lives we lead. When Meister Eckart said...If the only prayer you said was "Thank YOU" it would suffice...I began to think of my relationship in the Universe as a gift from and to my Creator. When I thought of myself as a gift, my value increased in my own eyes. When I think of prayer as conversation in every day life...why it opens all sort of possibilities to me!

Love is the dialect of the Divine. When we reach out to one another, when we care for one another...when we make our lives an arena for service in this world, then and only then are we truly dancing the cosmic dance. I dance with God. God dances with me. And then I am able to know love. (I sound like Rumi...or Hafiz...lol) And this, I think, is prayer. A whole body conversation with the Divine, a dance, a golden leaf, floating down on the breeze and falling falling falling.



Namaste.

8 comments:

DreamDancer said...

That is such an inspiring viewpoint, Akannie! It certainly gives me another perspective to consider. Thank you :)

Anonymous :) said...

Very nice post. Take care of your back.

Mary LA said...

This is wonderful Annie

big Jenn said...

You always amaze me. jeNN

thailandchani said...

That last paragraph is just beautiful! Perfectly stated! Of course I know none of us can keep that attitude *all* the time... but imagine how different the world would be if we even kept it part of the time? :)



~*

Jess Mistress of Mischief said...

Oh my that reading is ... WOW!

I prya with remorse..regret..anger..rage.. jealousy..envy

sheesh!

I had this inkling a while ago about the low grade agnosticism of worry and how that might really pray worries into reality.

An now this! This reading is really something to contemplate isn't it? How much does my action and behavior still pray the difficult and dis-ease into my life?

Hmm.... Awesome reflection today!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

One Prayer Girl said...

Perfectly beautiful post. It was like a poem, a prayer, a work of art. I'm not kidding. That's how I responded to it.

Thanks and love,
PG

Enchanted Oak said...

Prayer in my bathroom certainly must count. I have sat on the throne and prayed, kneeled at the tub and prayed, got in the empty tub and prayed, and I know God hears me from these grittier places too. And he doesn't wear noseplugs!