Monday, July 2, 2018



      About 45 years ago. On July 2, 1971 I gave birth to this little doll.  Today he is 47 years old.  He's a gorgeous, strong, brilliant and creative guy. He grew up (despite his mother, I might add) into  a man that I am proud of, with a compassionate heart and a strong sense of himself.  He is kind and he is resilient.  He works hard and plays hard and spends lots of quiet time in between.  He dotes on his mother (to a degree) and  has the heart of a hippie but the mind of a realist. I could never ask for a better son... 


Here he is 2 years later. Believe it or not, he was born with coal black hair.  By 4 he is almost blond. lol


 And here is one of the last pictures of him and his wife, before they divorced.

  He's all grey now and looks older than me. lol  (Not really)  He'd have a hissy if he knew I was  putting this out there on the world wide web, but since he has no truck with things like the internet or Facebook, he'll never know. lol  So, happy birthday to my son, the old man. lol  

**************************


  It's been bumpy around these parts.  Can't believe the whole month of June flew through so fast. I have no chickens, no garden, no usable yard. Everything here is a complete mess. The weather has been atrocious, with daily heat indexes in the 105-110's. Or horrific thunderstorms.  Partially as a result of those conditions, the weeds in my yard are shoulder high in places. Himself is off on vacation, scheduled to return today. Through a series of miscommunications and other plans made that were too difficult to change, I stayed home and he went to see his family up north. It's been a dangerously hot few days and I have mostly stayed inside. 

  I celebrated 28 years of sobriety on Saturday with a group of my pals. The actual date was the 12th, but the celebration happened at the end of the month. 2 other women celebrated too and we had a grand time. The weekend before that 2 of my friends had a bash and we went to that as well.  June is a good month for getting your life back. lol

  I feel disconnected from things, with no garden and chickens. On the one hand, grateful to not have to try to save it from the heat (or work out there in it) ...on the other hand, I miss my hands in the dirt and the bounty of nature. I figure this experience will do one of 2 things-- convince me that all that work can be let go of and never do it again, OR really motivate me for next year. Kind of a toss up.

  I have lots of householding to do today, so I'd best get my big butt in gear.  Took it pretty easy the past couple of days, and things have built up, as they will with a houseful of dogs and cats. I really meant to start laundry last night after it had cooled down a little (to 80) but decided to go to sleep instead. So, there's that too.  lol

 Have a wonderful week everyone. I'm gonna bake a little something for that boy and figure out supper for tonight, and hopefully not have to go to the store for anything.   We'll see...

10 comments:

Cloudia said...

Happy birthday!

Akannie said...

Thanks Cloudia... seems like yesterday sometimes. Feels like a hundred years others. lol Go figure...

DJan said...

Wow, that's wonderful to have a son like that. Happy birthday to him and sweet smiles for you! :-)

Akannie said...

Thanks DJan... hows things in your part of the world ? This weather has been crazy everywhere.

DDD said...

Congrats on your 28 years of sobriety.
I know how you feel about no garden, no chicken, no harvest....
Hope you post more often.

Anonymous said...

Difficult times, Annie. Congrats on 28! You know, I'm scaling back due to drought but can't live without some garden fingers-in-the-earth connection, tending and caring for plants, harvesting, preserving etc.

And now in mid-winter the drought has broken for the time being and we have dams and rivers filling up, snow melt, rains and the garden is green and desperately overgrown.
Unpredictable abundance as the dance goes on --

Love to you, my friend

MaryLA

Akannie said...

DDD... I would love to see you posting again as well... time sure flies though, doesn't it ? And the older I get the faster it moves... Be well, my friend ! xoxoxox

Akannie said...

Ah, my darling Mary girl... glad the drought has subsided [for now]. The temps here have been extreme, with heat advisories and warnings every day. It is raining when it should be dry here. It's just crazy. And I did plant some lavender the other day and have been nursing my poor chives and bergamot plants a little... I cannot survive without some sort of connection, even if it's minimal like it is now. And the dance goes on...

yellowdoggranny said...

drank once in 26 years..glad I did it..just reminded me why I quit drinking in the first place..congratulations...you dun gud.

Akannie said...

LOL... Jackie Sue, I have thought about it more than once. Just never seemed like it was worth the gamble, so I didn't. I'd really rather be drinking my way thru this current political climate though, you can bet...lmao