Saturday, January 2, 2016

Janus the 2 faced God


 Ah, January.  Looking forward, looking back. Closing out the old year and opening the new. Memories and resolutions and retrospection and introspection. It's exhausting, really.  And it's cold and dark and one should just take a cue from the animals that hibernate through the winter. Get thee to sleep and wake up when it's spring. 

  We had a lollapalooza of a storm last week. Way warmer than it should be. Our place got over 13 inches of rain in two and a half days. Everything is leaking everywhere. Peoples homes flooded. Roads were closed (some still are, even after 3 days of no rain). The big floodgates were closed in several areas. We live on the Mississippi River (well, we don't, but are within 20 miles of it) and the old girl has taken a hit. The river reached flood stage before the rain was halfway finished.  Our place is a mess. The mud room took a hit from a tree branch and has been leaking like a sieve. Himself got up there today with some plastic and some 1x2 's to get us through. We need a new roof, but can't afford it right now. Even if we could, there's not a roofer available for months.  The yard and gardens and the chicken run are big sloppy messes. I have to be so very careful walking out through the yard getting the chickens in the morning because I have already slipped once. Bad knee is very unhappy. New knee is sore. Sigh...I go see both doctors this coming week. Hopefully I will get scheduled for second surgery ASAP before my walking cockeyed causes a problem with the new knee. It will depend on the other doctor appointment when we see how the INR is looking. Hopefully all is well and I can get off this damned Coumadin. I really dislike taking it...


  Christmas and New Years both were very low key here and quiet. My son came for supper on Christmas Day and that was about it.  My youngest sister and her family all went to Florida the day after Christmas and got home last night.


 My sister-in-law is on the last leg of her brain cancer adventure. They have now stopped all treatments and called in hospice. She has lost most of her muscle control and speech. She is sleeping about 22 out of every 24 hours. Thank God she is not in pain. We went down for a visit yesterday on New Year's Day and I am going back down tomorrow afternoon. I will try to be there with her as much as I possibly can.  Her sister from California arrived last night and will stay for the duration of her time with us.  It is all heartbreaking, as these things are.  My brother is holding up much better than I expected him to and I am so grateful for that. Her children are hanging on and having a hard time as they watch their mother slip away.  We are all at that place of grief and relief that comes when someone you love will finally not be suffering, as you face the finality of their impending death. It is hard to not want to hang on. To keep her with us as long as possible...when that is not in her best interest. 


  And so it goes. Life on life's terms, we call it in the recovery rooms. The circle of life continues on, with or without my permission.  No matter what.

  I have about 2 bushels of beets in my kitchen waiting to be canned. I should have gotten on them today, but a half dozen other chores really needed my attention and the beets were just pulled yesterday and gifted to me by a friend. My pantry is completely devoid of pickled beets and so I am tickled to pieces. They are nice and small so I can pickle them whole. I am excited about getting to do some canning. 


  I am off to bed. Busy day tomorrow that will be starting early.  It's midnight already, and one of my resolutions was earlier bedtimes. Gotta run.

  Welcome to 2016 , friends. Let's live it to the fullest !





Namaste.

8 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Sure would like to know who's in charge of the weather these days! It's not been normal anywhere as far as I know. We're experiencing the least amount of snow of a winter in a looooong time. This after a wet, rainy, rainy fall.

I've never spent too much time in January looking back. More looking forward and striving to do better, change what needs to be changed and anticipate all kinds of good stuff comin' down the road. (Doesn't always work though. ;o])

Hope you can get that hitch in your get-along fixed as soon as possible. You still get a lot done gimping along . . . but I know it's wearing and not fun. Happy New Year of 2016. Let's make it a good one!

DJan said...

I so agree with your last line, Annie. And I too hope you can get that second knee done soon. So sorry to hear about your SIL, but as you said, it's good that she's not suffering any longer. I'm sending you and your whole family my very best wishes for as serene an outcome as is possible in these circumstances.

Celia said...

My heart and prayers are with you as you all care for your SIL. We just lost our cousin and I will always have memories of the people who turned up and turned out for her. Their loss also has let us see the love and kindness in others.

Akannie said...

I generally agree with you, Mama Pea. Guess I'm just in a bit of different circumstances this year, all said and done. At any rate, at least it's cooling down here...high 30"s in day and low 20's at night. And we have had sunshine the past 3 days now !! Some sunshine can cover a multitude of sins. lol

Akannie said...

Thank you, DJan... I hope I can get it done soon too. And thank you for your kindness...I was there again today for about 5 hours and she was much more restless...even when asleep. I hope for her sake it isn't much longer...

Akannie said...

Thank you, Celia. It's true that these circumstances show you the best in people. I am thankful for everyone's prayers and love. I am thankful that I get to be one of the close caregivers for her, even if I'm not the main one. I told her today I wouldn't be here tomorrow because I have 3 boxes of beets to pickle. She smiled and said, You know they're my favorite. I said that's why I have to get them done so I can bring you some. She smiled again and went back to sleep.

Mary LA said...

A hard beginning to 2016, Annie. My partner is also waiting for a second knee replacement surgery and grieving the loss of her sister last year. My thoughts and prayers are with your SIL.

And hoping for a good year for all of us, my much-loved friend.

Akannie said...

Thanks Mary... 2016 can only be better. Much love to you both. I am trying to convince myself that I have to trust the drs judgement, but it's not easy. I am in a lot of pain...pickled beets today and was 5 hours on my feet. (With breaks, of curse...) agonizing...