Sunday, October 31, 2010

Is it really the end ????

End of October.  End of canning. (I know I've said that before, but this time I REALLY mean it!) 

 Just finished putting up 23 jars of a green tomato relish called chow-chow around these parts. It was one of my old Dad's favorite things. You go out right before the first frost and pick all the green tomatoes, the tiny  bell peppers, and whatever else you might have out there hanging around that didn't quite make the cut. Then you chop it all up together, add some sugar and spice and everything nice, cook it about 2 hours and then can that bad boy. It's quite good, especially on bratwurst sandwiches. There are as many different ways to make this stuff as there are cooks, and I sort of looked at a few recipes and said to myself :Self--take a little of this one and a little of that one and get on with it !  And so I did. It's got garlic and onion and Granny Smith apples in it, and good strong cider vinegar.  I'm thinking that I might want to try my hand at making my own vinegar...how hard can it be, right?  And the price of cider vinegar hit the roof here lately...almost 5 dollars a gallon.  CRIKEY!


  I'm very tired and need to go to bed. Just took the last batch out of the canner and if I don't head for bed, I'm gonna have to get something to eat. lol  I made sweet and sour chicken and rice for our late lunch today...we ate at about 1:30 and then I was off.  I wasn't hungry when I fed MissB...now, I'm suddenly starving.  I looked around in the fridge, but nothing is grabbing me.  Maybe just a little rice or something? I need to start keeping hard boiled eggs in the fridge like I used to..they are great for a quick pick me up...my blood sugar is feeling off...and carbs are the last thing I need.  Cheese then. A whole wheat tortilla quesadilla....


  I am almost finished with Eat, Pray, Love....finished off a Sue Grafton novel as well, and will soon have to find something to read. About a month ago, I bought a box full of books on the cheap, all hardbacks,.and am making a good dent in them.I have her next book, Committed...as well as a Kurt Vonnegut book  called Look At The Birdie...Lots of stuff to distract myself with this month, when I should be writing my brains out for NaNoWriMo...


 Almost 1 AM...I need to be shuffling off. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of my pretty jars of relish...Maybe I'll even get some laundry done...

  Sleep beckons....





 Namaste.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

The end or a new beginning?

Namaste my friend.

Akannie said...

Ah...good point, my dear, good point.