Saturday, July 11, 2020

Rant time in the old town tonight



  It's been a couple of days.  I am outraged tonight at the stupidity of people about this Covid pandemic and wearing masks and social distancing.  Selfish, inconsiderate fools. I blocked about 15 people tonight on my Facebook page because I have had it with this bs.  I can't believe that I am letting it get to me like this, but it is.  I should be in bed. I have to get up in about 7 hours, but I needed to get this out of me or I won't sleep anyway. 

  This pandemic has already killed 5 people that I know.  The latest was my husbands barber, who had battled cancer last year and was immuno compromised.  A lovely woman in her late 40's.  We live in a fairly rural area of Illinois, a little over an hour south of the state capitol. The closest city to us is about 25 minutes north, a small city of  around 8000 people. This happens to be the town where my husband works.  A local church there has been having gatherings and services  and after the 4th of July, 25 people there tested positive for this virus.  One of those people works with my guy.  Thankfully (we hope) my guy was on vacation from July 1 through July 11. However...this person came to work for several days after the 4th sick, -you know, just a little sick. Then a little sicker every day. Then couldn't make it to work. Then was rushed by ambulance  to the hospital (from his home) because he couldn't breathe.  3 days this past week my husband worked with all the guys that worked with and were exposed to Covid by the sick guy.  The health dept is involved and I guess they will have some meetings on Monday to decide what the next steps are.  Test all the remaining employees. See if they have enough employees left to keep the plant open. In the meantime, all these men (and 2 women in the office) have potentially taken this virus home to their families. And that possibly includes my husband bringing it home to me.  He's a pretty healthy 60 year old. I am a sort of healthy 67 year old. We wear masks and we social distance and we stay home a LOT.  But now, none of that could matter.  I am trying not to lose my shit over this...at least until we have the facts. 

  And this is why people are making me crazy tonight.  I have given up believing that we are a nation of  [mostly]  rational common sense people. That has been apparent to me the past 3.5 years. But this is in my backyard now and I have no patience whatsoever for the bullshit. 

  I promise you that I am not a generally violent person. But I am ready to throat punch some people.
And I hate feeling like this. I am not a drama queen. I am not a hysterical person.  I mostly am able to live and let live. But this is really getting to  be a deal.  You do not have the right to ignore public health guidelines which endanger the people around you.  You do not have the right to endanger others because it's inconvenient to you.  If you are stupid enough to believe that this is a hoax perpetrated by ANYBODY, then you need to go right ahead and take yourself out of the gene pool.  Please--do humanity a favor. 

  Guess I'm running out of words. And energy.  And I stand by every word I wrote.  

  Maybe I can sleep...

13 comments:

susie @ persimmon moon cottage said...

Oh, I hope it did't spread through your husband's work place. How really scary for you and your husband. This craziness of insisting that this virus is a hoax and acting like it is a cold or the flu is criminal because thousands are dying. I have been hearing of younger people having covid parties, where they all put in money to go to the party, and whoever gets the Covid virus first, wins the money. How nuts can people be in this country? I guess they can use the money for medicine or hospital expenses. I am a bad person for thinking this, but i wouldn't care if every one of people like that caught the virus, but dammit, they spread it to other people, relatives, nurses, hospital workers. Some of our Government leaders just don't seem to care about the people in their country or states either. They think nothing of opening up everything while virus numbers are high. I am worried that they will insist on opening the schools too soon and children will start getting badly sick from Covid 19. It's all about the politics. I am so worried about my 10 year old grandson,and my daughter who is an RN and pregnant.

Take care. I hope you and your husband remain well.

Akannie said...

Thank you Susie. I wish the same for you and yours. A little sleep has improved my foul mood of last night. A little. Stay safe dear girl.

Kelly E said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly E said...


Oooh AAAniiie 😕Going thru all of this can’t be easy for you. I’m kinda going thru the same thing right now. Well, as of tonight that is. Got a text that my helper has been exposed. Sigh. Turns out she was exposed a week ago and found out last night. So now I get to wait it out and see what her test results are and what happens with my immune compromised self. Ugh. I know Gods got this though, just like he’s got your household. Sending prayers for you guys ❤️❤️❤️

Akannie said...

Thanks Kelly-- prayers for you too.

Jane said...

Yeah...we are living in a Ray Bradbury story.

Elle said...

I still believe in the inherent goodness of people. No matter what goes on around me. Sometimes lifestyle choices and such make me question it, and wonder whether I’m the foolish one...I fear for their safety ( maybe, sometimes, my safety ) but at the end of the day, I still love them and hope for the best. In almost 66 years, the best will rise to the top. It always has. I’m in the midst of a crisis myself.. that overwhelmed feeling is not comfortable. I can only control so much. I can only control me. ( and I’m a handful!!) I am hoping the best for you from this situation. I know you’ll take it a day at a time as you seem to do every other obstacle. Don’t lose faith, sweet girl. The world needs more of your positive energy. ❤️

Brennelou said...

Hoping for the best outcome for you and hubby! I think the most glaring thing to me is how selfish and self centered so many in our country have become. The next glaring thing is one of the reasons to send children back to school is so they will get properly feed and protected from abusive home lives. No child should go hungry in the wealthiest country in the world. No child should have to suffer abuse. Some major laws need to be passed that will protect our children from being put back in a home where the abuse continues. I love �� you Annie!

Layne said...

Sorry to read this and hope and pray that your Irishman did not get exposed to the virus. Sending love and prayers. Layne

Akannie said...

Thank you Layne. And thanks everyone. Ever the eternal optimist, he is convinced that he doesn't have it, and I have laid in extra supplies just in case. lol Yes Jane, it feels like a science fiction movie, doesn't it ? Thanks Elle and Brennelou. It is a crazy world... I concur.

Ol'Buzzard said...

You are right to be outraged. We all should be.
the Ol'Buzzard

Hope said...

I hate this for you. I hope the test comes back clear. Thinking of you.

Jane said...

So the test was negative?