Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Wednesday- or, My Week (or two) At The Races


  ...oh, I remember her. She's in my face all the time, lol.    Peering over my shoulder, putting her fingers in my pies.  Egging me on.  Pushing me to heights I have not reached for in a while.  Telling me I'm not as old as I feel.  Reminding me that no matter how bleak things might feel for a minute, I have so far survived 100% of the things I have had to go through, and that's a pretty impressive record. lol

  The last 2 weeks have been a bit of a whirlwind. Decided that I needed to try to get a job (part-time) to help with the financial crunch. Pay down the new car loan. Maybe get some home repairs made. You know, that kind of thing.  I encountered some fears, because not only have I NOT been on a job interview in 20 years, but I have a 17 year gap in my employment record.  And I'm old. Nevertheless,  I sallied forth and put together a new resume, pulled up my big girl panties, filled out some job applications and applied with 2 home health agencies, went through the TB testing, the background checking and the fingerprinting.  Had 3 interviews and was offered 2 jobs on the same day. Then I underwent 3 days of nonstop videos and training, took an exam and scored 97% on it and started work this week. I'm trying to figure out some balance between all the other things I do and this... the end of summer is a bit of a busy time and I have been on the run .  Today is only 3 hours, so I am  going to run to the store in town and pick up a small roast to put in the crock pot and be at work at 11.  Home at 2 and I SWEAR, I am not leaving this house again until Thursday morning at 8. lol  I was off yesterday, but had  a meeting with a friend getting ready to have cancer surgery, lunched, volunteered at the office  and then hooked up with 2 other crazy ladies and went to a meeting.  Got home about 9. Monday I worked 8-2, and got home, did some housekeeping and went to my regular Monday night meeting. You can see my dilemma... I'm really way too busy to work.  LOL    I have a big bag of cucumbers sitting on my table waiting to be turned into pickles. I need to buy some tomatoes and can some salsa-- only a couple of jars left in the pantry.  I have got to get a schedule in place that doesn't have me running all over hell and back...lol  Moderation.  (WHAT??)   Reason  (WHAT ??)  

  My old boy cat is running out the end of his life .  I have been giving him eyedroppers of broth and electrolytes, but he is dehydrating and weaker ever day. I Love that old stray so much and will miss him terribly.  We have no idea really how old he is...the vet thought maybe 15 or 16 when we got him 4 years ago. Or when he got us.  It breaks my heart... and am just trying to keep him comfortable. He had a really good life with us, and we with him...

  So--that's what's going on here.  I'm gonna post this and head to the market.  The temperatures have taken a cooling turn again. This weather has been so strange this summer. It's either fall-like or hot as hell.  Today's high is supposed to only be about 84.  70 right now. Last night it was foggy coming home. SMH...

  Signing off for now, from Honeysuckle Hill...

6 comments:

DJan said...

Congratulations on your new job. I do hope your precious furball passes from this earth gently. It's all any of us can ask. And thank you so much for the uplifting post, that you managed to find time to write! Yay for you, Annie. :-)

Ol'Buzzard said...

Aging isn't for sissies, but we keep going. Like you mentioned you have conquered 100% of your trials of the past - this will be a new adventure.
Good luck
the Ol'Buzzard

Ol'Buzzard said...

Cats are wonderful and their end is heartbreaking for us.
You are a good person
the Ol'Buzzard

Akannie said...

DJan... Life... Paco died yesterday after I got home from work. I held him til the end. Every time it hits me as hard as the first time... the job is interesting, so far. I'm glad I got up the courage to go after it lol

Akannie said...

Ol'Buzzard...Gettin' old ain't for sissies, my old buddy used to say, and it's the truth, isn't it ? One thing about this little job... the people are all elderly or disabled mostly, and it sure gives me a benchmark on how grateful I should be for my life. Yesterday was a woman in her 80's, with cancer, who is living with her son and his family and 4 other people. And they seem to all co-exist nicely. And she's a fierce little woman-- hope I can be like that when I'm 80.

Akannie said...

And Ol'Buzzard-- I agree about cats. Yesterday through my tears I was "I'm never getting another pet" and this morning I was "One cat is not enough..." Go figure. Hope springs eternal...