Thursday, February 15, 2018

Egg Salad Days



  Sigh... I just put an almost 500 dollar electric bill payment in the mail.  I cannot keep this up.  We had bitter cold temps the past 2 months for days on end.  We are held hostage by an electric cooperative that charges us outrageous sums of money for electric.  My car is in the shop getting new brakes. Last month we had an 800 dollar truck repair bill and now it is on the fritz again.  I'm trying to breathe in and breathe out and just stay where my feet are. I am okay, right here , right now. I am tired of struggling to make ends meet and I am tired of all the work and all the animals and everything.  Rant over.


   Time to stop buying groceries for a while and live out of my pantry totally again.  I will have to buy eggs now and again because I have no chickens. But otherwise... I am boiling some eggs now to make egg salad. I can eat that on the low carb diet.  And it's a cheap meal. I remember a time when I was so poor, all I had to eat was eggs and bread. I ate eggs: fried eggs, scrambled eggs, egg salad, hard boiled eggs.  And I lived. lol  And I will survive this time too, because that's what I am. A survivor.

   I drive a 21 year old car.  I live in a doublewide with an attached garage. On some dirt out in the country. There is nothing fabulous about my life.  Mostly.  Sometimes I have to talk it up to myself.  Look at the things that make me happy (gardens, space). Be grateful for the things I do have.  Trust that tomorrow will be better. This financial insecurity is killing me. Or not. Maybe I'm just a drama queen.  Lots of people have it worse than me, I know this for a fact. But today I am flailing about, trying to understand how, at my age, it can be like this.  It's not like I didn't work most of my life. It's not like I am wasteful or extravagant. And somedays, probably like a lot of people, I feel like throwing in the towel.


    So, for now, the eggs are boiling away in the kitchen, the cat has just knocked over my big pot of aloe vera plants and scattered dirt all over the office, the puppy wants to eat the dirt and has pooped in the floor twice after being outside for an hour.    I cannot house break this defective dog and it's driving me insane. Of all the animals I have had over the years, I have not experienced this. We have had her almost a year...I don't know what to do. Except constantly clean up carpets. Because, of course, she never pees or poops on the wood floors.  Sigh...


    I need to find some kind of work. I am looking into a company called Upworks which my friend works for...and that may be a fit. I can work from home. In my sweatpants. lol   I am trying to navigate their site and reading some tutorials about getting started with them.  Hoping it will turn into something that helps.


    So...til then, I'll eat my egg salad and make a concerted effort to not buy anything more than what I absolutely need for a while. Staying home and cutting down on the gas bill (himself may be having to take my car to work anyway if his gets worse).  Turn down the thermostat (why does 60 in the spring feel so much warmer than 60 in the house in winter ?)  some more.  Cut some corners where I can.  You think you live a frugal life, but you can always find more ways to cut costs...


  Welcome back, egg salad days.  It will be alright...eventually.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Winter makes so many things seem so hopeless - we are tired of the dark days and long nites, I am in my seventies and this last year has been a struggle at times - husband had cancer - mother (95) severe dementia - one niece and one nephew (in their early 30's) accidental deaths within 11 months of each other - but we carry on because we can - no way to go around these things so just go right thru them. And this too shall pass. After all of this heartache this year, I still feel blessed in so many ways - husband's cancer in remission - got a rescue dog that makes us laugh and we love him to death. You will see the sunshine in your life again - just hang in there and "one day at a time" really does work - otherwise it is too overwhelming - I'm now (after one year) starting to feel the calm AFTER the storm - I'll keep you in my prayers. Mary Ellen

Akannie said...

Thank you Mary Ellen... you're absolutely right.

MaryLouise said...

You've had such a tough time, Annie. I hope spring comes sooner than later and you get a break.

Here we've got water shortages -- you'll have read the news about Cape Town -- and I dread the day the taps get turned off and all we can do is queue for hours every day to collect water.

We do go on though.

Love & strength.

xxM

Akannie said...

Oh Mary... I feel like a whiner when I read the stuff you guys go through. We are way below rainfall/snowfall amounts here as well... but it's supposed to rain the whole next week. As it is, the ground is so dry that it can't even soak up the water, so there's been goofy flooding the past day or so in some places. And yes... we do go on...