Thursday, December 7, 2017

First week of the last month...


  Counting down a strange and uncomfortable year... between opportunities for growth and eye opening horrors...between joys and sorrows.... between lives and deaths.  This has definitely been a year for the books. And I, for one, am not sad to see it go.

  We are in the middle of an influenza epidemic here in the middle part of the country. A local high school has suspended classes with 20% of the students out and many of the teachers. We have had it here on Honeysuckle Hill as well. It's Influenza  A, they said.  Whatever that means. I am on the trailing end of it (I hope) and the Irishman had a milder case of it, but maybe his wasn't flu, but just a bad cold.  With all the coughing going on around here, it sounds like a TB clinic.  I have been suffering through it since the 18th of November. Slept a lot the first week and then just yucky and snotty and grumpy since then.  lol  And no, I didn't get a flu shot. And if one more person asks me that I will scream. Hear ye, hear ye... ANNIE KELLEY NEVER GETS A FLU SHOT.  And probably never will. And NO, I don't get a pneumonia shot either. Or the shingles shot either. And if I ever die from these things, feel free to stand at my grave and shout that you told me so.  

  I have a million things to do, so I decided to try one more stalling technique and come here and write. lol  My office is such a mess I cannot see the desk calendar. I have minutes to do for the upcoming assembly on Sunday and haven't even started it.  I have 2 dishes to make for a potluck tonight and it starts at 6:30 (we have to leave here at 6)  and it's almost 1:30 and I haven't started that either.  It's just a simple cake and a pan of scalloped potatoes.  And I do want them warm for the trip, but still. I have raised procrastinating to a new art.  My living room is a cluttered mess. My dining room table is covered [again] with crap. I have been just sick enough to do very little these past couple of weeks. And guess what ?? No one has died, and it's still waiting for me.  lol  I haven't got out any of my Xmas stuff-- but I often wait until about the 10th of December to do that anyway, since I leave it all up til after my birthday, which is the 12th day of Xmas.  Probably Monday  I will do that.  Have done a minimum of Xmas shopping. Doing mostly home made stuff this year. Did get a little something for the Irishman, (Both of us really).  My son has already emphatically stated that he wants nothing from us. NOTHING. lol  So, I will make him some granola and some chicken jerky. And he will love it. Will send a couple of boxes north and east of some homemade goodies to family. That's it.  Merry Xmas y'all.  

  I'm using my home canned potatoes for the dish for tonight, hope it works out well.  I've been making a lot of pantry meals lately.. trying to stagger one dish meals with regular meat and vegetable meals. I made a gallon batch of granola yesterday for himself. I need to get the bread machine going too...ran out of bread yesterday. After the first I am going on a low carb diet and try to shed some poundage.  But himself will not ever quit eating bread. So there's that...it's not hard for me. Pasta and sugar are the hardest for me.  Hence not even considering doing this until after the holidays are over. I need to learn to make some low carb alternatives to bread and maybe even pasta. Who knows.

   The world is in an uproar. All the wrong people are leaving government service and all the wrong ones are staying. The tax scam bill is a travesty. Paul Ryan stated today that they will work on "reforming" the entitlements programs in 2018.  Maybe the gods will send a tsunami/earthquake/tornado/flood  and knock DC off the map. I have been purposefully not listening to any more news/politics than I can avoid. It just makes me sicker. These treasonous bastards are destroying this country, all to line their own pockets.  And that is all I am saying. And I am scared.

  Okay-- I guess I better get in the kitchen.  Wheat bread, scalloped potatoes and Oatmeal Spice Cake are awaiting me.   Happy Pearl Harbor Day people...

4 comments:

Hope said...

That flu is making its rounds here, too. I don't get any of those immunizations either. I do hope you are feeling better soon. I have had a desk like that as well. Most of the time. So much so that my grandson came into my home office one day and declared it was a disaster. At least he didn't say it was disgusting which is one of his favourite words.

2017 is a year that can't end soon enough in my books. I feel a bit of a scrooge for saying it out loud but it's truly how I feel.

yellowdoggranny said...

I don't take a flu shot and never had the flu..knock wood..but I get allergy colds every november like clockwork...

DDD said...

ANNIE KELLEY NEVER GETS A FLU SHOT. 
Why?
I never get a flu shot. My two reasons:
I haven’t got flu for a long time.
Tom, my coworker died of flu shot a few years ago. Tom’s death affects me profoundly, Tom’s cube was 20 steps from mine.

yellowdoggranny said...

I got the Asian Flu in 1971..damn near died..it was killing people left and right...and since then I've been exposed to the flu hundreds of time..I swear it made me immune..Dr Cujo says impossible..but ? no flu...knock wood.