Tuesday, July 12, 2016

A hot summer's day...


 Not so hot really...mid eighties.  But the humidity is through the roof and the sun is shining brightly. 


  I've been busy all morning and trying to do about 3 things at once, which is always a sort of kerfluffle.  I'm dehydrating and cutting up watermelon. I'm cleaning up the mess in our bedroom and trying to get things ready before the carpet cleaners come next week. (Happy Mothers Day to me from my boyo).  I'm doing all the little day to day things that need doing (or at least thinking about doing them). The dogs go out, come in, go out and come back in.  lol  The chickens are crazy about the watermelon rinds, so I have made 3 trips out to the coop. 2 trips to the mailbox down at the end of the road (putting Netflix movies in to send back and retrieving the mail a couple of hours later. Junk mail, I might add-hardly worth the trip).   I am also getting ready to pulverize a bunch of the dried tomatoes I have in the pantry into powder, to use as a spice ingredient and as an addition to soups and stews, and get ready for this years tomato crop. I think I am going to have a bonanza--lots of them out there. I picked 3 bell peppers earlier, thinking I would make chicken fajitas for supper, but it turns out I have no small bags of chicken breasts...only one with about 6 breasts in it. I could make a giant batch, but I hate to do that, although the Irishman will always eat it in his lunch. Unless I can break them apart...hmmm...


  It's been a busy summer so far, with one thing and another. The weather has been strange as ever...extremely high temps and no rain for weeks...or deluges day after day. It has now dropped into the mid to high 80's, which is rather odd for the middle of July around these parts. But it is welcome.  I haven't done a bit of canning yet. Normally I would have been at least canning green beans since the last part of June, but not this year. The plants look great out there and are loaded with flowers, but still no beans.  Curiouser and curiouser. And so it goes...


 I feel like there's not much to talk about. I finally got my car road ready and a bearing went out ion the front hub. Getting it repaired next week.  It's still driveable, but makes a hell of a racket. I am ordering the AC control panel tonight and hopefully that will fix the AC problem. Everything considered, I am still happy with the purchase. Trying to stay on the sunny side of the street, lol.  

  I have a pot of partially cooked beets on the stove that I need to attend to...a gift from some friends...too much to eat and not enough to mess with canning, so I'll figure something out. lol  Trying to watch the sales as it's about time to restock the freezer with meat. I'm down to a few  packages of pork chops and some chicken. One store near me (that has a GREAT meat department) is having a sale on some beef, which I rarely buy, but just might look into this time. I think I have some canned pork in the pantry still too...I could fix bbq pork sandwiches for supper, couldn't I ? With a nice side salad and some Harvard beets. Ooooo...there's an idea.  I would barely have to cook if I do that.  With a nice ripe bowl of watermelon for dessert. 

  I love summer meals...


 Namaste.

3 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Your post was a description of a summer day . . . watermelon and all!

Yes, I think the weather for everyone has been strange this summer. We've had heat we RARELY get except for maybe a week at the end of July or beginning of August. And this started in June! Also tons of rain. Some days I think everything in the world is changing. Just have to keep a positive outlook, even when it's hard.

Ol'Buzzard said...

I can't seem to get motivated this summer. I have a notebook full of summer projects, but have to force myself to mow the lawn - and only when it gets ankle high. I do have enough wood left over from the mild winter last year to get me through this coming winter and I have topped off my oil tank early, so that is an expense I will not have to face this fall.
We have had a cool summer so far, the last couple of days did get into the eighties.

the Ol'Buzzard

sanpiseth40 said...

Just have to keep a positive outlook, even when it's hard.


ตารางคะแนน