Friday, June 13, 2014

A beautiful Friday morning...

 We've been busy around here...here's my new (to me) car. A 2001 Honda Accord.  Deep dark green. I love it. Just got it last night.  (Hurray!!  I don't have to drive his truck anymore. )


  I have a cheesecake in the oven to take to tomorrow's morning meeting. My friend Brad is bringing a chocolate cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting and I am bringing a cheesecake. We will be celebrating my 24 year sobriety birthday (which was actually yesterday) and I am grateful and humbled by all the help I have gotten over the years and still get every day from the other people in this program. The beauty and blessings of this way of life are not lost on me.



 We are moving slowly through the days of the Irishman's recovery. He is feeling a little better every day, which makes it even harder for him to do nothing, of course. lol  Luckily, he has just enough pain still that it keeps him going slow.  If he can keep from becoming too worried (about money) and depressed, we will be okay I think.  It's hard for anyone, and especially a man used to working all the time, to sit around doing nothing for hours on end.  And too, his muscles are sore  and aching from atrophy. He's not supposed to lift his arms over his head. No bending, lifting, twisting. Still cannot lay down to sleep either, so he's not getting very rested.  Bless his heart...

  The garden is in and we have had so much rain it's ridiculous. On top of that, the temps have been in the high 60's and low 70's...VERY unusual for Illinois in mid June.  The plants out there all look healthy enough, so we'll keep our fingers crossed. 

 Other than that, life is lazing along on Honeysuckle Hill.  All the critters are well, all the people are happy and everything is right in the world.  We also celebrated our 22 nd anniversary together yesterday.  Sometimes it seems like yesterday and sometimes it seems like a hundred years. lol  That's the way of it, I guess.  We are holding hands and walking together into old age. It's a blessing.


  Sounds like the dryer has stopped. Only a couple of loads of laundry and tonight we are out for a special treat. Going to a concert in our local college town to see Janis Ian...a singer I have loved for over  40 years. Had I known all that was going to happen I might not have bought the tickets, but I didn't, so I did. lol  I'm glad. It was kinda my birthday present to myself.  That's at 8 tonight. I have PT at 2:30 and needed to get this cheesecake baked early so it can refrigerate long enough. Been up since 5...didn't actually get out of bed til a little after 6.   Feel like I could easily take a nap right now. lol  I have to stop by the insurance agent either before or after the PT (same town--about 15 miles from here).   

  I'll be back...have a grand weekend all.



Namaste.                                                                                                   

13 comments:

Beth said...

Congrats on the 24 years sobriety and 22 years of marriage. I am glad the Irishman is getting better.

Celia said...

Wonderful week of important anniversaries glad you can get out and enjoy them. Sending prayers for healing for you both.

Mama Pea said...

Congratulations on both of your anniversaries! You should be very proud of both of them.

Your new car looks very nice. It must feel really good to have your own wheels again!

Yes, it is very hard for a hard-working man to be a good patient. But this, too, will pass for him although I'm sure at this point he's thinking it is going on FOREVER!

Enjoy the mild temperatures because you know it could be hot and humid any day now! :o}

Anonymous said...

congrats on both of your milestones. I have recently been forced by fatty deposits on my liver to give up alcohol. I admire you for your record. I sincerely wish you the very best. NICE CAR!

Anonymous said...

Congrats upon 24 years of sobriety that is a remarkable accomplishment, 22 years of marriage Congrats upon that too..Not many people get to survive sobriety at all, I see the devastation at the food pantry I cook at weekely, God holds you in his loving hand..We are married this past may 40 years both children of fathers with the alcohol disease..it is not good for anyone from a father or mother who has this disease to ever consume we do not..I love your blog..God's Blessings upon both anniversaries, peace, joy and love, ciao!

Akannie said...

Thanks Beth...me too. Not fast enough for him though !

Akannie said...

Thanks Celia. It was a good week all around. Feeling very blessed.

Akannie said...

Morning, Mama Pea. It does feel good to have wheels again...and the insurance check finally came on Saturday. The guy that sold me the car was kind enough to take a personal check and hold it for me. Hated doing that, but ....what do you do ? The world is full of kindness...

Today I woke to pouring rain (again) --it's like a monsoon out there. And very warm. sheesh...

Akannie said...

Sir Rat-- you lasted a lot longer out there drinking than I did. I was only 37, already with the liver problems, the jail problems, the people problems. lol It was pretty amazing--I quit drinking and all those things went away.

I felt pretty lucky finding this car...

Akannie said...

Anonymous--congratulations on your long marriage...it is a far reaching disease and not something to take lightly. As far as my staying sober, I could never have done it by myself, that's for sure. I know what you mean about seeing the devastation...it's a sad thing watching people who simply cannot or will not even look for a different way to live. Bless you for cooking at the food pantry--I would do that too if there was one near us...

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversaries! I hope you can make many miles in your new wheels and that your hubby heals quickly.

Akannie said...

Thanks HIH...I hope so too !!

Rita said...

I hope the Irishman is getting better and better--and that you loved Janis Ian. I really liked her, too. I just had to go find her on youtube when you said her name and she's singing Seventeen as I am typing this. ;)

Congrats on your years together with your sweetie and your many years sober. :)